Thursday, March 31, 2011

Even if you don't cook you have to eat, so somewhere along the line food somehow gets from the source to our tables. Good friend of ours doesn't keep much food in his refrigerator freezer because, he says, "The supermarket has lots more freezer space than I do and they keep it full. Why should I fill up my freezer when the store is just a few minutes away?"
Why indeed.
Might be the same with just about anything we eat, right? Fresh fruits, vegetables, milk, eggs, meat and seafood, you name it, your local market probably has more than you can possibly use.
So what's this blog about? It's about whatever goes on in your kitchen and mine. Not just cooking, very few recipes (more about that later), no restaurant reviews (more about that, too,) but about things we do in the kitchen and maybe don't even realize we're doing them.
From time to time I'll throw this in: "TGW." Huh? It's short for "The Good Wife," my best friend and constant companion for over 35 years. But in the kitchen you could hardly find any two people more diametrically opposed.
For example, I can cook anything--from a recipe. TGW has been ragging me for years for this deficiency. "You don't need a recipe!" she exclaims, "just put in whatever you want for the taste you're after! Sheesh!" She never uses a recipe, well, I take that back. Just last week I caught her using one. OK, one recipe in 35 years, but most of the time she just gets out in the kitchen, rattles them pots and pans and comes up with good stuff.
So how come? Well, like most females she started watching her mom in the kitchen from the time she was a toddler. Her, not her mom. She, again like most females, just absorbed all the tricks and lore without even knowing she was doing in.
Me? Hey, I'm a guy! While TGW was in the kitchen soaking up cooking I was out in the yard playing cowboys and Indians with my buddies. I didn't even get interested in cooking until my son and I were in Boy Scouts and we had to learn how to cook in the outdoors or go hungry, but that's a whole other story which I may or may not get around to sharing.
Why no recipes or restaurant reviews here? Thought you'd never ask.
Simple. Even back in the days before the Internet, there were thousands of places where you could find just about anything related to cooking and food. Read the other day that after the Bible, cookbooks are the biggest selling items in the stores. Ironically, the most popular books are about losing weight and gourmet cooking!
Restaurant reviews? The truth is that I'm just not that persnickety about what I'm served in a restaurant unless, of course, it's just plain terrible. My solution for this fiasco is just to not go back. Not only that, but the daily newspaper always has restaurant reviews, so I'll let the pros handle that part.
So back to the beginning: Why am I writing this? Because I think there's a lot of interest in whatever goes on in your kitchen and mine. Might be a tip or trick or two, maybe a discussion of how we can make the most of the space we have--never enough--what gadget we just gotta have, getting control over that one, or maybe two, drawers full of utensils we used once and haven't touched since, well, you get the idea.
But I'm not the only source of such wisdom. Who else? You. Post your own comments, revelations, horror or success stories, what else you'd like to share.
Looking forward to spending time with you in your kitchen and mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment